Be a Green Homeowner!
Stormwater Runoff Management at Home
Residents on the Alabama coast are the first line of defense in protecting our coastal resources from the problems associated with polluted runoff.
In our day-to-day activities we can all help by following these guidelines:
- Be conservative about using fertilizers, pesticides, or any topical lawn or garden treatment. Follow directions, and never overuse them.
- Pick up and dispose of pet wastes before they can be carried into a storm sewer or ditch. Mulch your grass clippings and leave them on the lawn, or put them on a compost pile with yard waste.
- Water only as a supplement to rainfall and not so frequently. Avoid sprinkling onto paved surfaces or other areas that drain into the storm sewer.
- Wash your vehicle at a commercial car wash that captures runoff (e.g., detergent and grime).
- Sweep driveways and walks instead of using a hose.
-See More Long-Term Approaches to see what you can do to help prevent stormwater run-off.
-Back to Stormwater Information.